Gazpacho may just be the single best summer food ever. This summer however I have been obsessed making this summer corn gazpacho. Raw, vegan, fresh, with a hint of sweetness from the tomatoes, an earthiness from the peppers and topped with the fresh and bright cucumber and jalapeño salsa for a little crunch and hint of acidity. Perfect, simple, delicious.
FOR THE GAZPACHO:
- 3 ears of corn, removed from cob
- 800 gr yellow tomatoes, chopped
- 1 yellow bell pepper, chopped
- 1 medium white onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove (optional) chopped
- ¼ cup white wine vinegar or sherry vinegar
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tsp Himalayan salt
FOR THE CUCUMBER AND JALAPEÑO SALSA:
- 1 cucumber, diced small
- ½ red onion, diced small
- 1 jalapeño, diced small
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- Juice of ½ lime
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Combine the corn kernels, tomatoes, bell pepper, onion, garlic, and Himalayan salt in a large bowl. Mix well using your hands and set the bowl aside for at least 30 minutes and up to 2 hours.
- Working in batches, place the mixed ingredients in a high speed blender along with the olive oil and blend the soup until nice and smooth.
- Run the soup through a fine mesh sieve if you want it to be nice smooth and creamy, if you prefer it a bit chunky leave it as is.
- Stir through the white wine or sherry vinegar and season to taste. Cover and chill for at least 4 hours to thicken and develop flavors.
- Just before serving combine all the cucumber and jalapeño salsa ingredients in a bowl, mix well and set aside until ready to garnish
- Before serving garnish with the cucumber and jalapeño salsa, a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil and some freshly ground black pepper.