“The sloppy Joe is so much more than a sandwich or a burger, and giving it the Christmas treatment means we’re taking that bun filled with delicious pulled meat and crunchy exciting veg, served with gravy for dunking, to the next level. ” – Jamie Oliver
- 200 g leftover cooked higher-welfare turkey meat
- 200 ml leftover higher-welfare turkey gravy
- 1 carrot
- 1 apple
- ½ a red onion
- 2 sprigs of fresh mint
- 2 gherkins
- 1 fresh red chilli
- 4 seeded wholemeal buns
- BBQ SAUCE
- 2 tablespoons tomato ketchup
- 1 tablespoon HP sauce
- 1 teaspoon English mustard
- ½ teaspoon chipotle Tabasco sauce
- 1 splash of Worcestershire sauce
- Shred and pull apart your leftover turkey meat and place in a small pan with a splash of water and 4 tablespoons of gravy.
- Pop a lid on and place on the lowest heat for 10 minutes to warm through.
- Warm the rest of the gravy in a separate pan, ready to use it for dunking later. Meanwhile, peel and finely shred the carrot, matchstick the apple, peel and finely slice the red onion, and pick and slice the mint leaves. Place it all in a bowl with 1 tablespoon of pickling liquid from your gherkin jar.
- Finely slice the gherkins, using a crinkle-cut knife if you’ve got one, and the chilli, add to the bowl, mix well, lightly season and put aside. Mix all the BBQ sauce ingredients together.
- Split and toast your buns, then spread the BBQ sauce inside them, top and bottom. Pile your pulled turkey on the bun bases, drizzle with a little gravy and top with some of that tasty slaw. Pop the bun lids on, and you’re away.
- Serve the rest of the gravy on the side for a naughty dunk, along with any leftover slaw.
Tip: This is a great recipe for parties, as it’s quick, and it’s easy to double or even quadruple the quantities – let your guests build their own buns.