This spiced lentil soup will warm your soul. It’s comforting, rich, hearty and packed with nutritional density. It’s also perfect as it can be prepared up to three days in advance and stored in the fridge. It tastes even better when the flavors have had a chance to marry. This soup really is comfort in a bowl.
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, washed and cubed
- 2 carrots, peeled and diced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 ½ cups green or brown lentils, rinsed
- 2 tsp coriander powder
- 2 tsp cumin powder
- 1 tsp curry powder
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- ½ tsp cayenne pepper
- 7 cups vegetable broth
- Parsley or cilantro, chopped
- Black olives
- Heat olive oil in a large pan over medium heat. Add the chopped onions and sauté until soft and translucent then add the garlic and sauté a little longer until aromatic. Add the rest of the vegetables, (sweet potatoes, carrots and bell pepper) and sauté 2-3 minutes longer.
- Mix the lentils in the pot and stir occasionally allowing them to cook for a couple of minutes.
- Add all the spices, (coriander, cumin, curry, turmeric and cayenne) salt and pepper and stir for a further minute until fragrant.
- Finally add the vegetable broth and stir. Increase heat, bring to a simmer while stirring occasionally. Once the soup has been simmering for 2-3 minutes, reduce heat to medium/low, cover with the pot lid and allow to simmer for 1½ hours, while stirring occasionally until lentils are soft.
- Check for seasoning to your taste, serve and add preferred garnish.