When it comes to coffee, it’s safe to say it’s a very big crowd pleaser. This cake combines that love for coffee and another very versatile ingredient: tahini. It will surprise you palate, and please your cravings for both caffeine and something sweet. Although this cake isn’t guilt free, it delivers with its delicate flavors and textures. Making it perfect if you want to show some love to your friends and family.
- 3 large eggs
- ½ cup of powdered sugar
- 2/3 cups of almond flour (same as almond meal)
- 2 ½ tablespoons of all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons of melted butter
- 4 egg whites
- 4 tablespoons of sugar
- 8 egg yolks
- 2 tablespoons of tahini (softened)
- 1 cup of sugar
- 1/3 cup of strong brewed coffee
- 1 cup and 4 tablespoons of butter (softened)
- 1 1/3 cups of strong brewed coffee
- 2/3 cups of sugar
- Preheat your oven to 410°F/210°C.
- Grease a cookie sheet of about 60×40 cm.
- In bowl for stand mixer put eggs (preferably at room temperature), powdered sugar, and almond flour. Beat at about medium speed for 10-13 minutes, until it becomes a whiter and pale color.
- Beat egg whites, while slowly adding sugar, until you reach stiff peaks. Set Aside.
- Add melted butter to the eggs/sugar/almond mixture. Add sifted flour in two batches, folding in.
- Now incorporate the fluffy egg whites, in three batches, slowly and gently folding in.
- Place evenly in baking sheet, and bake for about 7-13 minutes, until golden brown, or until it stays firm when you press on it softly.
- Take our of the oven and cool down on a rack.
- When it is cooled, cut out 3 circles with a 16 cm mold. You can cut the rest with a smaller circle of your choice.
- Cut each layer in half length-wise, you will end up with 6 layers of the 16 cm circles. Do the same with the smaller ones.
- Place egg yolks and tahini in a bowl for the mixer, beat at medium speed, until it reaches a lighter color. When this happens continue beating it at the lowest speed.
- In a small casserole, put sugar and coffee. Cook on medium heat until the syrup reaches 248°F/120°C.
- Pour syrup slowly onto egg yolks, while whisking at the same time (medium speed). Make sure that you pour right next to the side of the bowl, almost making a line along it.
- Keep whisking on medium speed until the bottom of the bowl reaches room temperature.
- Place onto piping bag (a Ziploc works well too).