Japanese cuisine may just be one of my favourites in the world – rich, diverse and comforting. And when it comes to comfort food, nothing beats a good ramen soup! Here’s my most recent take on a few ingredients I love using: udon noodles, chicken and mushrooms. You’ll love this!
And the best part? It’s extremely easy to cook!
- 1 tblspn peanut oil (or vegetable oil)
- 450gr boneless skinless chicken thigh (or breast for a lighter soup)
For the sauce:
- 3 tblspns Japanese sake
- 3 tblspns soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons sugar
For the soup:
- 4 cups chicken broth (or vegetable broth)
- 225gr brown mushrooms, sliced (add some fresh or dried shiitake mushrooms for extra flavour!)
- 3 green onions, sliced, green with their white parts separated
- 1 tblspn ginger, minced
- 2 packs (~500gr) udon noodles
- 1 tblspn wasabi sesame seeds
- Add the oil into a frying pan or wok , turning heat to medium. Let it heat up for a few minutes.
- Mix the sauce in a small bowl while heating up the pot.
- Add the chicken thighs/breast into the pot without overlapping. Sear until the bottom turns golden brown (~2-3 minutes). Flip and sear the other side.
- Once both sides of the chicken are seared, pour the sauce into the pot. Turn to low heat. Cover and let it cook until the chicken thighs are cooked through (~5 minutes). Once done, transfer the chicken to a big plate.
- Add the broth, mushrooms, white part of the green onion, and ginger. Turn the heat setting to medium. Cover and cook until the mushrooms are cooked through (~10-12 minutes).
- Add the noodles and the green part of the green onions. Cook until the noodles heat up (~2 minutes). Turn off the heat.
- Slice the cooked chicken and place it on top of the noodles.
- Serve hot adding some wasabi sesame seeds for extra flavour!
Source: adapted from Omnivores Cookbook
News: Sweden's airports launch green fees for airlines
Athens: fine pastries at the French-inspired Ourse
BACK TO TOP