It’s been a long time coming. A list with all the small bites, the delicious sins and the signature dishes that rule the food scene of Athens. Some all time classics and others fairly fresh and new; but both good enough to tangle our palate and make us go back for yet one more time.
Here is the top 50 eats in Athens you simply cannot miss!
Athens is quickly becoming a melting pot of cultures with tourism booming in the last decade or so. And this has definitely made it to its food scene, with Athenians perfecting classic dishes of Greece like koulouri and bougatsa from Thessaloniki and other top eats from far flung places like Japan and their milk bread toasted sandwich and the US with their soft-baked cookie.
Whether it’s early in the morning or late at night, there’s always something to crave for if you’re looking to escape your healthy diet. Ridiculously delicious sins involving fat, sugar and salt everyone loves in Athens! If you haven’t tried all of these then you’d better get on it. Fast.
- Beastly Brekkie, Different Beast
- Smash burger, EKIBEN
- Fried chicken burger, Chicken Picnic
- Peinirli, Eleftheriadis
- Pizza delivery, Portofino
On the side
And then there’s the appetisers and something to share on the side, when you’re out with a big crowd or a more intimate one on one. Most of the list revolves around seafood meze but equally so we’ve thrown in a super category of its own: the french fries. Whether you’re looking for the classic handcut ones, the round thin chips or simply pommes frites we got you covered!
The main course category is a very dear one and the basis of this long-lasting race. According to the web a signature dish is “a recipe that identifies an individual chef or restaurant”. According to us, it’s a simple, recognisable umami experience you simply cannot forget.
- Crayfish nigiri, Sushimou
- Fried red mullets, Margaro
- Fried shrimps, Ta Kanaria
- Grilled baby crabs, Zarkadoulas
- Cannolicchios, Paramalo
- Pasta alle vongole, LSANDSIA
- Cacio e pepe, Brunello
- Cacio e Pepe Pasta with shrimps tartare, Jerar
- Deconstructed Pasticcio, Aleria
- Papardelle Ragu, Seychelles
- Veal cheeks hilopittes, Seramiko
- Fried cheese pie, Stou Koutrouli
- Chestnuts stew, Pharaoh
- Fried meatballs, Avli tou Psyrri
- Lamb chomps, Axotis
- Beef patty, Michalis
- Entrecôte Cafe de Paris, Blue Pine
- Beef bourguignon, Wine Is Fine
- Pork knuckle, To Palio Tahydromeio
- Pizza Bianca, ALIO
And last but not least, the perfect way to end a meal in Athens… or simply another treat if you’re a sweet-tooth like me.