Recipe: Winter salad with roasted beets, blood oranges and hazelnuts
This salad is packed with the best winter ingredients. Sweet beets, fragrant oranges, juicy pomegranate arils and a maple spiked vinaigrette. It’s packed to the brim with flavor and is well worth the effort.
Prep time 10 minutes
Cooking time 1 hour
Total time 1 hour 10 minutes
FOR THE SALAD:
• 4 medium red beets, washed
• 4 medium golden beets, washed
• 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
• Salt and freshly cracked pepper
• 3 blood oranges, sliced
• 1/4 cup hazelnuts, toasted and chopped
• 1/4 cup pomegranate arils
• 3/4 cup fall fat Greek yogurt
• 1 tablespoon parsley, chopped, for garnish
FOR THE MAPLE DRESSING
• 3 tablespoons maple syrup
• 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
• 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
• 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1.Preheat the oven to 190°.
2. In a medium bowl add all the maple dressing ingredients, mix well and set aside.
3. Place the red beets in baking tray and in a large piece of foil or baking paper. Drizzle them with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Tightly seal the foil around the beets to make a packet. Repeat with the yellow beets in a separate tray.
4. Roast until the beets are tender when pierced with a knife, about 45 minutes to 1 hour, depending on the size of your beets. Unwrap the beets and let them cool slightly. Remove the skin with your fingers, or carefully with a pairing knife.
5. Cut the beets into wedges and toss them with some of the maple dressing, making sure to keep the golden and red beets in separate bowls.
6. Just before serving, season the yogurt with salt and pepper and spoon on the bottom of your salad platter. Arrange the orange slices and beet wedges over the yogurt, spooning some of the dressing over the top. Sprinkle with the chopped hazelnuts, pomegranate arils, parsley and drizzle some extra dressing.