Neighbourhoods: southside around the Athenian Riviera
Summer equals to islands, spending all day on the beach, enjoying the sun with cocktails and the sea. There are sometimes though, that you have to spend almost all summer period in the city and you are getting jealous for all of those who are away and nervous since you don’t know where to go, what to do in this empty city. You don’t have to worry about it. Athens has a treasure and it’s called, Athens Riviera.
Glyfada, Vouliagmeni and Varkiza, constitute the vibrant area of the southern part of Athens. All summer clubs, café - bars and restaurants are crowded all time of the year, but during summer period “all flashes” are on them. Even when you have the feeling that everyone is on the islands, when you approach Athens Riviera you will notice that you are not alone.
Glyfada is the most vibrant of all. To start your day, a walk at Grigoriou Lambraki and Metaxa streets, which are famous about their in fashion shops, will make your day very very promising. The brands of the most famous designers are “hosted” in the most fashionable and attracting way that grasp your attention. During lunch time the options are too many. “Mezze Glyfada”, “Enoteca da Salvatore” and “Vincenzo” are just a few options. To enjoy your coffee or early drinks the MUST spots are the “Balux Café Home Project” and of course the famous “Ark”, the all-day café – bar, restaurant with the most yummy brunch in Glyfada. During your visit, you will notice that the majority of people are teenagers to early 30s. From the evening though the ages of 30+, make their presence more obvious. To reach Glyfada is by car or if you are hero and want to try public transportation, then there is an option of tram.
Next stop is Vouliagmeni. It’s so much elegant and in my opinion it’s the “queen” of Athens Riviera. The aura while approaching it will just convince you. Vouliagmeni doesn’t have the shops to stroll around, doesn’t have multiple choices of restaurants and café-bars. Vouliagmeni has the famous “Laimos Vouliagmenis”, an area where located the most elegant, the most attractive, the most in fashion, the “should visit just for once” restaurants, bars and beach. Celebrities, very well - known people and thank God 35+ ages, hang out in Vouliagmeni. The best time to visit is during the “Gold Hour”. A splash in “Astir Beach” during this time is just a proof why this beach is the most famous in the city. A dinner in “40 restaurant” or “Matsuhisa” and a cocktail in “Moorings” will make you feel fabulous.
The final stop is Varkiza. The amazing cobblestone zone close to sea, attracts you from the first sight. The marina with the boats, people and mostly families strolling around, the taverns with the sea view, make your day and evening relaxed. Of course Varkiza is not only for families. It has its elegant point of view that is the world famous “Island” bar – restaurant. From its entrance this place makes you feel that you are on a real island. The breath taking view to the sea, the amazing cocktails and restaurant flavors accompanied by music from world famous djs, make your days and nights unique. An addition of the above mentioned, is that if you plan to wed, “Island” is your dreamy place. A picturesque church with a sea view and the peaceful environment will make your wedding, the event of the year to your guests. Finally, Varkiza has its “Varkiza Resort”. A complex of restaurants and café – bars will make your stay close to sea and swimming much more joyful.
For more elegant touch, very close to Varkiza is Lagonissi area. This place is famous mostly because of “Lagonissi Grand Resort”. It’s a hotel complex with great restaurants such as “Kohylia”, “Captain’s House”, “Mediterraneo” and an amazing beach that entertains adults and young people. One thing is sure. You will relax from the moment you will entry.
To reach all the above mentioned areas are either by car or by taxi. Two things are guaranteed for 100%. The first is that the view from the car will “hook” you and you will look for a house close to beach. The second and the most important of all, is that the sun in south always shines, even when in rest areas of Athens the weather is rainy.
- Brazil Suites Boutique Hotel - It’s a short walk from the exclusive shopping district of Glyfada and features contemporary minimalist design. It boasts a swimming pool and a café- restaurant.
- Divani Apollon Palace & Thalasso - The hotel’s Spa & Thalasso Centre is a proud member of the Leading Spas. Facilities include a 225-m² indoor pool, roman baths, 2 saunas, 2 Turkish baths and more. Active guests will enjoy the flood-lit tennis court and jogging route. Waterskiing at the property's private beach is also available.
- Athenian Riviera Hotel & Suites - Offering a seasonal outdoor pool, Athenian Riviera Hotel& Suites is located in Vouliagmeni area of Athens, within a 2-minute walk of Vouliagmeni Beach. Guests can enjoy a meal at the on-site restaurant. Free WiFi access is provided throughout.
- Villa Teas - Situated in Varkiza, this air-conditioned villa features a garden with an outdoor pool. The property is 19 km from Athens and features views of the pool.
- Lagonissi Grand Resort - Nestled on a stunning 300-km² peninsula in south Attica, the Grand Resort boasts exquisite dining and holistic spa treatments. Its luxurious rooms enjoy unobstructed Saronic Gulf views.
- Ark - ARK is here to alter the standards at the most enchanting part of the Athenian Riviera. This much anticipated spot has it all; spellbinding view, modern design, high end flavours, unique cocktails and also the rarest coffee blends.
- Spiti Neat Eat +Drinks -The environment is cozy and feel like home. All flavors are amazing and owner’s goal is to keep all customers happy ; and they succeed on that.
- Mezze Glyfada – Cozy and friendly environment. You feel like home. This seafood restaurant is flirting with flavors and decoration and the success is guaranteed. You will never live disappointed. A try will convince even the most demanding customers.
- Yi – Unfortunately this restaurant doesn’t have an official website and this is the reason of not posting it. For all of you who are vegans, you have reached your restaurant. The raw materials that are used are highly selected. The environment is cozy, all the personnel is friendly and recommends dishes.
- Ithaki Restaurant - Consisting of a classical choice and adding value to high profile events, this well known restaurant, has the privilege of a breathtaking location at an exclusive area of the south coast.
- 40 Restaurant - Sun, sea, haute cuisine, cocktails, all accompanied by beachside colorful sounds. Under the sun and, after the sunset, under the stars.
- Matsuhisa - Home of the world famous Nobu cuisine, the restaurant Matsuhisa Athens has brought the quiet power of Japanese culture and the charm of fusion philosophy to the gastronomic map of Athens. Beautifully nested in one of the city’s most stylish and scenic locations, the Astir Palace, Matsuhisa Athens promises an unforgettable gastronomic experience.
- Moorings - Located in Marina Vouliagmenis, Moorings Café | Bar | Restaurant stands with its elegant and discreet style as the most popular meeting point of Southern suburbs.
- Island Club Restaurant – For more than 20 year is the most famous spot in Athens night life. It’s an emblematic place of Athens Riviera and it’s famous for the parties that owners organize with the special guest stars and djs. Night Life goes on in this place.
- Latini – It’s located in front of port of Varkiza. The sea view is amazing, the flavors are delicious. It’s open from the morning to enjoy your coffee, until late in evening for drinks.