The Weekly Getaway: fishing village of Port Douglas turned into a tropical haven in Australia
What was once nothing more than a fishing village is now one of the most charming tropical destinations in Australia. Port Douglas has become a truly magical town that radiates with an atmosphere of elegance and calmness typical of tropical havens. Once you’ve laid your eyes on its lush vegetation, crystal clear waters and captivating horizons, you’ll know that you’ve chosen a perfect destination that will turn your getaway into an out-of-this-world experience.
The Great Barrier Reef
As one of the most beautiful wonders of the natural world, the stunning and diverse Great Barrier Reef is definitely worth the visit. Since it’s easily accessible from Port Douglas, the Reef is one of its major and most breathtaking attractions. Consisting of more than 3,000 individual reef systems and a variety of marine species, the Great Barrier Reef will delight you with its spectacular views. The beauty of the world’s largest coral reef visible from space can be explored by snorkelling, cruising in a glass-bottomed boat, or swimming with dolphins.
Four Mile Beach
Its white sand, pristine blue waters and lines of palm trees make the Four Mile Beach one of the most popular attractions in Port Douglas. It’s located just a five-minute walk away from the town centre, and despite its popularity, it’s not very crowded; thus, you’ll be able to soak in the beautiful atmosphere of serenity and tranquillity. If you take a walk to Flagstaff hill, you’ll be able to enjoy the scenic view of the entire beach.
The Daintree Forest
Another natural haven in Port Douglas is the World Heritage-listed Daintree Rainforest where you can reconnect with nature and admire some of the most beautiful wildlife species in Australia. Whether you go with a guided walk tour, join a safari or opt for a river cruise, the oldest tropical forest in the world will delight you with its beauty. If you’re brave enough, join a guided night tour through the jungle, or look for crocodiles by cruising along the Daintree River.
- Carnivale Festival – At Port Douglas’ Carnivale Festival, you can experience the upbeat vibe of numerous stage shows, art exhibitions and street parades, or test your skills in a sand castle competition.
- Sunday Market – The Sunday Market, located in Anzac Park overlooking the bay, is a perfect way to spend a morning. Here, you can mingle with the locals and get uniquely designed handmade jewellery or homeware. One thing is for sure – you won’t leave empty-handed.
- Wildlife Habitat – At Port Douglas’ Wildlife Habitat, you can have breakfast with birds or go for a soothing walk through tropical gardens. This site should definitely be on your must-see list if you have kids – they’ll be delighted with the opportunity to feed crocodiles and other wildlife species.
- St Mary’s by the Sea Chapel – Located at the Port Douglas Harbour, this picturesque chapel offers the most beautiful alter view overlooking the sea. This wooden church seems magical surrounded by palm trees and tropical gardens.
- The Ngarru Gallery – This gallery features interesting indigenous artwork of both local and national artists. You can even choose a piece of the diverse collection of Aboriginal art.
- Mai Tai Resort – Located on a hill, this intimate boutique resort features amazing views and a peaceful ambiance. Its secluded location is perfect for a romantic getaway or just a relaxing holiday with your family enjoying a range of amenities.
- Lazy Lizard Motor Inn – The Lazy Lizard is just a short walk away from the town, so all the attractions will be within your reach. Its affordable prices, laidback accommodation, and a lovely small pool are guaranteed to leave you satisfied.
- Pink Flamingo – Surrounded by lovely tropical gardens, this intimate and stylish resort offers a variety of Port Douglas holiday packages that will definitely meet your needs. As one of the best resorts in the town, Pink Flamingo is the perfect accommodation for a dreamy getaway.
- On the Inlet – This bar provides its guests with charming views, a rustic ambiance and delicious food. The menu features many specialties, including tuna sushi with caviar served with goat cheese and tomato, and oyster with champagne jelly and crab rosti.
- Soul N Pepper – Not only does this restaurant offer delicious food, but it also provides its guests with a laidback outdoor experience. You can start a perfect day with superb scrambled eggs with goat cheese and spinach in a tropical atmosphere.
- La Cucina Restaurant – If you have cravings for Italian food, then this is just the place for you. You can find affordable prices, friendly staff and world-class food of La Cucina restaurant at the end of Macrossan Street.
- Mocka’s Pies – Here, you can have a taste of Port Douglas’ finest pies. Located on Warner Street, this bakery is where you can savour classic Aussie pies filled with exotic fillings, such as kangaroo, crocodile and barramundi.
This tropical destination is perfect for a dreamy getaway where you can admire natural life and enjoy the laidback Aussie lifestyle. Explore the wonders of the Great Barrier Reef and the Daintree Forest, have a piece of a classic Aussie pie, and relax in the exotic town of Port Douglas.