Neighbourhoods: A day in Greenpoint, Brooklyn
My favorite part when discovering a new city is finding different neighborhoods and spotting various cute places to grab food, shop, or simply walk around. When I first moved to New York a few months ago, I knew Brooklyn was the new « place to be ». I had already been to Williamsburg and really enjoyed it but never had the occasion to explore other further areas and places in this neighborhood.
So here it is, just for you, a simple glimpse of another day spent in Brooklyn, but this time, in Greenpoint!
This neighborhood is one of the booming and trendy areas in Brooklyn. Just above Williamsburg and south of Long Island City, Greenpoint is a great option if you’re looking to spend a day away from the buzzing and noisy atmosphere of Manhattan and its never-ending skyscrapers. Here in Greenpoint, you’ll find a charming architecture and non-touristy quiet streets. This area is definitely a must-do if you’re looking to surround yourself with locals and experience the real Brooklyn.
Greenpoint is surrounded by delicious spots where you can grab a quick bite to eat, enjoy a drink (or two) with friends and find so many local tiny shops.
- The Brooklyn Barge - Enjoy the amazing view of Manhattan. Get there in the late afternoon to observe the sunset and grab a drink for happy hour by the river. Very chill spot!
- The Dobbin Street - One of the most famous vintage stores of Greenpoint. This one is specialized in furniture. I recommend you stay patient, look around and you might find the rare pearl for your apartment.
- Word - This independent community bookstore often organizes events such as talks led by very talented developing authors and illustrators. You can also shop for classic novels or simply grab a book and read it in their cute little coffee shop.
- Greenpoint Fish & Lobster Co - A fresh fish market, cooking fresh products that you can eat at the counter or at high tables seating on bar stools. I recommend the Fish Tacos, the Lobster Roll with hand cut fries and my favorite, the crudo! Everything is so yum!
- Peter Pan Donut & Pastry Shop - An old-style bakery offering a wide range of donuts and a large choice of pastries. Treat yourself, you won’t regret it!
- Black Rabit - A fun mixture between the prohibition-themed bar and the perfect British pub. The bar offers large beer pints and original cocktails.
- Five Leaves - One of the most famous brunch spots in Greenpoint (if not in NYC)! Make sure you get their ricotta pancakes! Expect long wait to be seated, especially in the weekends.
- Sauvage - A French-inspired bistro open all day long from breakfast to dinner time. Serving both American and French meals! The burger is a must there! Otherwise, go for their quinoa bowl for a healthier option.